Monday, February 7, 2011

Home rolled Sushi

So tonight I was having a lazy night and had hankering for Sushi!

A lot of omnis always look at me sideways when I announce "I'm having sushi". Everyone is of the belief that sushi is raw fish, when that's actually called sashimi. Sushi is a Japanese dish consisting of cooked vinegared rice which is commonly topped with other ingredients or put into rolls as most commonly seen. Then there is my other fav - inari!! If you have never had inari - you my friend are missing out! It's basically a small pouch of fried tofu with rice tucked up inside. I am yet to find the tofu pockets, but I am on the hunt. 

 











Anyway - back to my sushi. Tonight I was feeling really lazy so I only had cucumber and alfalfa on top of the rice with a drizzle of sweet chilli sauce inside, all rolled up tight and of course dunked in soy sauce before devouring them!


What I love about home rolled sushi is that you can put whatever you want in it. Avocado, fried tofu, carrot, capsicum, mock meats, etc etc. Open your fridge and see what's in there.

The how to:
1) Buy rice vinegar. You can pick it up for a few bucks at your local Asian mart. 
2) Once you have cooked the rice (make sure it's the correct Sushi rice! Yes, there is a difference! I use Sun Rice Japanese Style rice) drain the rice and let it cool in a bowl. Once room temp give it a good splash of rice vinegar and stir through. Some people like to put mayo through the rice, I personally don't. 
3) On a flat surface, lay out your seaweed sheet and lay down a thin layer of rice to cover approx two thirds of the surface.
4) Place your fillings towards the center of the rice layer.
5) With your fingers, dab some water along the exposed edge of the seaweed - this will help it stick once you have rolled it.
6) Start rolling. If you are new to this I suggest getting a rolling mat (not that it makes it any easier the first time!).
7) I like to dab some more water along the join edge just to make sure it's stuck down good.
8) With a wet sharp knife slice the roll into the desired sizes. Make sure the knife is wet - this helps it cut through the roll easily.


Don't fret - the rolling does get easier, and you will even get to the point you can roll without one :)

1 comment: